Friday, July 11, 2008

TGIF!

Toward the end of the day at work, I finally heard back from the electrical company who did the estimate on Wednesday. (I had the impression they would be getting back to me sooner.) They said they needed me to sign something and have it notarized to get the permit to go ahead with the work. I said what about tomorrow. The guy would be in Miramar (in Broward County). What about Sunday? He doesn't work on Sunday. So she said Monday, and I said I had to work, so the guy will be coming to my office on Monday around mid-day. I said I worked in a law office and that there were plenty of notaries.

A bit later I called her back and told her I wouldn't be having them install all new outlets (I can do that myself). She said to tell the project supervisor when he comes so that he can adjust the estimate. Eliminating this $374 cost will put the project below $2,000. (And I really can do it myself--I've installed outlets before.)

Getting the electrical work done in the kitchen walls is the only thing holding back the project at this point. I expect that it can be done in one day next week, for which I'll have to take the day off. Then the drywall will have to be repaired. Meanwhile, I'll finish priming and painting the ceiling and cleaning the area up.

Meanwhile, today I received the handles for the cabinets. At first I thought they were too large, but once I got them home I saw that they were the correct size.

I also went online to look at iridescent tiles for the backsplash. On my first hit, I found what I want. See here. They cost $26 for a 13 x 13" square. I won't need a lot of it (but I won't know how much till the cabinets and counters are installed). (I see that the box size is 10 sheets, so I'll be getting at least that much--maybe I can find it locally.) This project I can also do myself.

No comments: