Saturday, July 5, 2008

Back at Home Depot today

Today I bought the faucet, a Price Pfister "Ashfield" model. It's clean and modern but has a pretty, curved handle (like an old pump handle, as the Price Pfister website notes). The spout is a pull-out sprayer with an adjustable flow ("Spray Volume Control"). (The other, little spout belongs to the built-in soap dispenser.)

I wanted to buy those curvy handles, too. Last night I saw them on Home Depot's website and printed out an image (along with a couple of others). My kitchen designer at the North Miami Home Depot (I'll call her "Helen") said they had them in the store. She found ONE. She then went on her computer and discovered they had been discontinued (other local Home Depots had some, but I needed 25). She said to try ordering them online. (Thomasville had them but they were an inch and a half longer--i.e., too long.)

It turns out that they're an "online only" item now on the Home Depot website. I had no trouble ordering them until I tried to pay with my new Home Improvement Loan card. The website wouldn't accept it, so I called Customer Service and placed the order through them without a problem (I had just used the card in the store to buy the faucet, etc.) She made note that the website wasn't accepting the card, and also I filled out an online customer survey and noted the same thing. It's no big deal as long as I can at least order over the phone.

The stainless steel football knobs were on the old kitchen cabinets. (I'd bought and installed them a few years back.) I took one of the little drawers in to show Helen, along with one of the knobs, and the images I'd printed out. She thought the football knob looked great on the drawer. I also showed her a print-out of the Ball Hugger fan, which has a similar shape and the same brushed-type finish [see previous post]. I want everything to be cohesive. (The handles also have the same finish.)

I wanted to go with the curvy handles to contrast with the straight lines of the cabinets. Helen agreed. She gave me the last handle in the store, and here I've taped it to one of the cabinets to see how it's going to look. I think it looks fantastic! The perfect accessory for this "Plain Jane" cabinet. ($5.99 apiece, plus tax. Ouch. The faucet was $238 plus tax. I thought it was worth it.)

I also did a little sanding and more spackling today. The soffit is going to look great when I'm finished. This is very minor work, but apparently the handyman didn't have an eye for details. I'm not going to worry about the wiring of the recessed lights. The bulbs are around a year old already and aren't the long-life kind.

UPDATE: I'm thinking now maybe the tall faucet won't fit in the space. (But Helen would have caught that, I think.) Oh well, I can always return it and get a lower-profile faucet.

No comments: