Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Electrical work estimate today

Came to over $2,300, but a big chunk of that is for reinstalling the kitchen ceiling fan here in the second bedroom, where I spend most of my time (while not sleeping or working), and installing a new fan in the kitchen (which I bought awhile back). This room has no ceiling fan and has to be wired for it, and the ceiling is solid concrete, so there will be some work involved.

The recessed light above the refrigerator will be hidden by a cabinet. To re-route the wiring around this outlet will cost $49.

The guy suggested all new outlets for the new kitchen, so I said go for it ($374.85).

Just pulling a permit costs $197. The guy said the Code requires outlets to be spaced every four feet, so I'll need to get a couple more outlets, and other outlets have to be moved or fixed. The outlet for the new microwave above the stove has to be on its own circuit and will have to be wired to the breaker box. That was the single most expensive item on the estimate ($488). Meanwhile I put $500 down for the work.

Later I called Helen at Home Depot to discuss the estimate. She said it sounded about right.

This work is the priciest item in this whole project, but at least I'll have some peace of mind in knowing that the wiring will be done correctly. And I really wanted to have the fans done. When the electricians come back, I'll have them remove the kitchen ceiling fan so I can paint it white (it's now brushed aluminum) before they come back and re-install it in this room.

After they complete the electrical work in the kitchen, the drywall will have to be repaired. (The electrical guy said today that the wiring for the microwave circuit will probably cause more damage to the drywall.) Then the cabinets can finally be installed. Hooray!

Last night, I finished off sanding the soffit and primed most of it (ran out of primer). The finish is nice and smooth now--no more dings. (The important parts are primed, however.) Tomorrow I'll stop off at Home Depot after work and get more primer and kitchen ceiling paint (since I know I'm going to run out of that, too.) Right now I just want to get those areas of the ceiling prepared where the soffit abuts the cabinets. The rest can be finished later. The job will be a breeze once they take down the ceiling fan before installing the new one.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

it's going to look so ''FAB''dear! can't wait to see the final pics. you're very good at this I must say, you get the job done and all, well done I say!