Saturday, August 2, 2008

Not a good week

I'd really been hoping to see some progress here in the kitchen, but it was not to be. At the beginning of the week, I learned that another permit--in addition to the electrical--would have to be obtained from the city before the electrical work could be done, which is holding everything up. To make a long story short, that set me back another $425, and today I had the application faxed to me to sign and have notarized and send back to them.

If I hadn't called the contractor today to follow up, this wouldn't have gotten accomplished and the process would have stalled further. The person I spoke with at the contractor's office said I hadn't yet paid for the permit (I had--on Wednesday). She then looked it up on the computer and, sure enough, she saw that I had. Then she was going to mail the application to me and I asked her to fax it instead (which she did). Then she said to mail it back to her (I FedExed it so they'll get it on Monday). This project has got to get back on track ASAP.

The additional permit is for the general contractor, who had already come and ripped out the old cabinets and counters almost a month ago. Except for the electrical work, all this job entailed was replacing old cabinets and counters with new ones. I think that at the time the general contractor determined that electrical work was needed (i.e., on the day they removed the old cabinets and saw what was behind them), they should have got their own permit going. You would think they would know that, seeing electrical work would be needed, the City of North Miami would require them to get a permit. It appears somebody dropped the ball here.

No comments: